You’ve probably heard the recent news about our beloved Walkabout Program, and the Walkabout Education Foundation (“WEF”) which was created (at first) to save the 37-year-old program, and is now dedicated to re-launching it in a new form. But if you have not heard the news, and don’t know what’s been happening, please read the letter below, and also check out this recent blog post on the WEF site:
However, this blog post, on this new site, is not about what went on the past 2-3 years with Walkabout, but about something new and exciting: the new Walkabout Alumni Association (“WAA”), launched to provide community and resources for ALL former and future students of Walkabout!
This is our first post – our first communication – speaking to you in our new, purely-alumni-oriented voice. But the best explanation of the Walkabout entity and mission changes-in-progress, and what’s to come, can be found in the email newsletter sent out by WEF yesterday, which we include below, with a few additional links…
We are proud to be part of the extended family of Walkabout Alumni with you! We look forward to connecting, collaborating with, and supporting our fellow alumni, now and into the future.
With Warmest Regards,
YOUR Walkabout Alumni Association (WAA)
[Letter from the Walkabout Education Foundation “WEF” on 8/20/2014, emailed to Alumni and Friends…]
Since our inception, the Walkabout Education Foundation’s goal has been to ensure a Walkabout education is available to local high school students. In order to achieve this, we need to maintain close contact with the Walkabout community.
For the past year and a half, WEF has performed the roles of an education foundation and an alumni association. We have decided a restructuring was necessary to clarify and define the members and roles of both groups.
In response to the overwhelming interest from Walkabout alumni to stay connected, we would like to announce the launching of the Walkabout Alumni Association (WAA). The mission of the Walkabout Alumni Association is:
- To network, support, represent and provide a forum for the community of the 1,427 Walkabout Alumni
- To connect with all Walkabout alumni (track contact info and demographics)
- To be the source of Walkabout alumni news (updates on individuals)
- To discover what resources are desired by Walkabout alumni
- To provide support for the WEF mission
The WAA board is looking for several dedicated members to develop and fulfill its goals. WAA is also looking for Walkabout alumni to join committees, help organize events and work on special projects. If you are interested, please send an email to: email@example.com.
Over the last 18 months, the Walkabout Education Foundation has been working hard to achieve its mission. As a result of weekly meetings and developing a network of educational leaders and potential partners, we are closer than ever to achieving our goals.
Working in concert with WAA, WEF’s ultimate goal is to expand Walkabout beyond the region; our immediate goal is to open the doors of the first Walkabout school under a new, financially sustainable model.
To join and follow WAA:
- SIGN UP and fill out the survey on https://walkaboutalumni.org/signup
- LIKE the Walkabout Alumni Facebook Page (public – formerly the Walkabout Program Page)
- JOIN the Walkabout Alumni Facebook Group – for alumni news, and WAA information! (private)
- JOIN the Walkabout New & Goods Facebook Group – for sharing good stuff! (private)
- GO TO the WAA Contact Page for more social media links…
To follow & get involved in WEF:
- Please LIKE our Facebook page
- FOLLOW us on Twitter
- VISIT our Website & Blog (and follow / subscribe!)
- Engage in our posts to increase the visibility of our efforts!
WAA (initial board members)
Angela Eisermann Wolken
Contact the Walkabout Alumni Association (WAA) using this form: